A Champion!?

ORDNANCE SURVEY #GETOUTSIDE CHAMPION 2016


Back in October I'd been alerted to Ordnance Surveys #GetOutside Campaign.

Are You a Champion of the Outdoors? Was the question.



I thought why not lets write a little ditty about what we're trying to achieve with The 100 Peaks Challenge and see what happens, I wrote: 


WHAT IS YOUR #GETOUTSIDE PLEDGE?

"I wanted to try and create the single biggest endurance event ever staged in the UK taking in all four countries – Scotland, England (inc. Isle of Man), Ireland and Wales, involving as many willing participants as possible, across three disciplines, tabbing, cycling and kayaking, and claiming 100 peaks above 2000ft in 25 days.

WHO DO YOU INSPIRE AND HOW?

Inspire is not a word I would use to describe myself, the Challenge I've created however, I hope does and the reasons behind its creation and the causes we are taking the Challenge on for certainly do. The Challenge has been created as a tribute to my little brother, he was killed in action in Afghanistan in 2011 and ever since I've used various Challenges as a means to try and do something positive and raise as much money as possible for military charities. The 100 Peaks Challenge has been created as 'sign off' event for the current fundraising effort with the goal of raising £100,000.00.

The Challenge will involve tabbing 100 Peaks, cycling between summit lines and peak regions and Kayaking across the Irish Sea. The 25 day duration is to symbolise the length of my little brothers last tour, beginning on the day he deployed (23.05.17) and finishing on the day he was killed (16.06.17). To date we have over 100 people registered as taking the Challenge on in some form, 40 which are interested in taking on the Full Challenge. It promises to be an epic event and journey for all who are part of it.

TELL US WHY YOU SHOULD BE A #GETOUTSIDE CHAMPION

I love the outdoors, when I'm not working, I spend most of my time outdoors, whether that be with my trainers on or in the hills with my boots and pack on. With The 100 Peaks Challenge the aim is to not only create a legacy for my brother in support of the Charities we are raising funds for, but to also create a Challenge and Challenges within the build up period, that will inspire others to join us and be part of the Challenge and to also engage as many people as possible with our fundraising efforts. One such event is a jump day with the Red Devils next August (we have 30 people booked on the plane and ready to jump). We are also planning to takeover the Milton Keynes marathon, among many other events we'll be attending and creating in the next 18 months. As well as the legacy for my brother I want this to be an event that everyone who takes part in can share with their families with the hope that our children will be inspired by what we aim to achieve and go on to enjoy the Outside and all it has to offer as much as we do."

On the 25th November I received this letter back from the OS.

Dear Karl,

OS #GetOutside Campaign - OS Champion 2016

As you know, Ordnance Survey has been looking to recruit a small number of outdoor enthusiasts to become Get Outside Champions, to inspire and motivate family, friends, colleagues, children, and wider communities to ‘get outside’ and enjoy the British landscape. 

Having received numerous applications and nominations from people across Great Britain, we are delighted to select you to become one of our Champions for 2016. 


To say I was a little taken aback at first was an understatement, but since I've had time to reflect on how big a thing it is, I'm honestly proud that off the back of what we've achieved to date with The 100 Peaks it's been recognised as being something that could inspire others to #GetOutside.

So what does that mean? I guess that I'll be bugging you all to join in making sure that I make good on that promise to engage as many people as possible in The 100 Peaks Challenge and the whole build up process, you have been warned! You may need to get out of your comfort zone, but you don't need to think outside the box when it comes to being part of The 100 Peaks Challenge - you just need to ‪#‎GetOutside‬

On the 2nd Feb I'll be going down to the big smoke (like any normal day really) but instead for a Photoshoot Day with my Fellow Champions for 2016. It really is an exciting time and one I hope that really helps us grow the Challenge and what it's trying to achieve even further. 

For those that don't know much about the campaign, below is some background to the #GetOutside campaign.

Ordnance Survey launched the #GetOutside campaign to urge people off the sofa, to ditch the car and to enjoy the outdoors. Nick Giles, Managing Director for Ordnance Survey Leisure, says: “We are in danger of becoming disconnected from our own landscape. The benefits of exercising and getting regular fresh air are already well documented, but more needs to be done to get that message across, which is where our #GetOutside champions come in.

Have a look at the Ordnance Survey website to find out what the #GetOutside campaign is all about, to be inspired is great, to inspire is incredible.





#BeInspired #BeInspiring #GetOutside

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been emotional.........

Beyond the last blue mountain.....

30 days to go (no need to paniccccccccccccc)