In a little over.....

........a week and a half, we will all, in all likelihood be in a world of hurt! It's amazing that no matter how much training you do, you never feel like you've done enough. Now I can't work out if that's an admission of ill preparation or it's just fact, when you've dropped yourself into an event like this, thinking it's a good idea! 

In the two and a bit years between moving from Colly to Milton Keynes, my fitness levels dropped dramatically. I stopped playing football which had been the mainstay of my fitness regime, and work became my sole focus outside of home, it's an unhealthy way of life, and definitely made me unhealthy. I know I've put some serious effort in to get to the level I am now, and still I feel at this stage that 1hr 50 is beyond me, not that I won't still aim for it, but it is a reality I possibly have to face. The reality is borne from the aches and strains my body seems to be constantly dealing with day in day out. But then I'm not the only one, all of us, have come a long way in the time we have been preparing for Catterick and to say I'm proud of each and every one of the boys is an understatement. Their commitment and desire is exemplary, and for some, it has become a real lifestyle change, and that is definitely true for me. This won't be my last year of doing the Paras'10, for some I know it will, for some it's taken everything they've got to prepare for this event, some are probably thinking I'm never doing anything like this again, to only change their mind later on, you never know, but for all of us, it has been a journey.

The original reason for doing this - paying tribute to my darling little brother Lloydy, has been, in my eyes paid. Yes we've still got to get to the start line, and yes, we still have to crawl over the finish, but with the way the boys have gone about tackling something that is completely alien and in most cases monumental in effort for the ordinary screamer, has been nothing short of inspiring. We all sought inspiration in him, and in doing so, found a collective inspiration in one another, and the pride I feel is immense, proper puff your chest out stuff and I'm pretty sure my darling little brother we be looking down on us if he's not running alongside us, with his chest puffed out too. 

The other reason for doing this, was to raise some money for worthy causes in my brothers memory. Now for me, this is only the beginning, but the humbling truth is that, we've so far managed to raise an amount of money I didn't believe possible, hoped maybe, but never dreamt we'd get there (at the time of writing we are at £10,500) - so to all those that have supported us all I can say is, from the bottom of my heart thank you, and whilst I know those people that that money may help will never be able to thank you, I thank you again, on their behalf, you have helped us create a legacy in memory to my brother and I could never thank you all enough for that. He was a bright light in all our lives and you have all ensured he continues to shine. 

.........See you at the finish line!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been emotional.........

Beyond the last blue mountain.....

30 days to go (no need to paniccccccccccccc)