With Catterick.......

.........looming large, and the impending doom of normal working people trying to earn a living, whilst our Capital City hosts the Capitalist monstrosity that is the Olympic Games, I've decided that if you can't beat them, then you may as well join them! My morning commute normally involves me trying to squeeze myself onto a Northern Line tube from Euston to London Bridge, for the next month or so, those of us who have not been encouraged via the rather helpful Mayor of London and 'Get Ahead of the Games' directive, to take a six week holiday or work from home, have had walking routes maps frequently thrust into our mitts, rather ironically with a 'free' tube/oyster ticket wallet! Tomorrow is season ticket renewal day, and the first day of the 'home stretch' before the first event in Catterick on Sunday 9th September. When the alarm goes off at 0600, I shall be (for the next six weeks ) donning my ParaCharity t-shirt a pair of shorts or trousers, my trainers or boots, and my bergen, oh and a rather sweaty glow. A round trip of almost 10 miles a day is gonna do that to you, so if you come in to contact with me, I apologise, but don't blame me, blame that moppy haired eegit Boris! To be honest though, the demise of the commuter routes is probably a 'Godsend'. I use that word loosely, but I know now that being forced onto the streets of London, in my bid to get into the office, means for the next 6 weeks I really get some decent solid training in, to supplement what I've already done, and the conditioning work I'll be doing when I get back to MK. It's gonna be a tough 6 weeks, but right now, I'm looking forward to it. Although come tomorrow evening it may be a different story, if the running through London's Streets turns into, the normal melee encountered of a usual morning and evening, and as I am doing, so is every other commuter in London too (Oh not to mention the little Hammy pull I have at the mo, could be an interesting morning)! 


Training continues to be a mixed bag for all of us at the moment, some of the guys I hear nothing from week to week, in some cases I worry, in others I know, they'll be perfectly fine, so don't need to. For me personally, I was really starting to motor again, and then failed to warm up properly before going for my run, and the next thing I know my hamstring goes, not a happy bunny. I've concentrated on conditioning work for the last week and got some rowing in to, so hopefully the little imposed lay off, will not have to detrimental an affect. For the most part I'm always in close contact with John, Jono, Pete and Bear. Pete was having a frequent dates with the foam roller, Bear if he's not getting blisters the size of a fist is picking up little niggles, but still getting training done, and Jono, is having to spend most of his time in the pool. We are all praying that he's able to get through this, his 'OAP' knees, really are causing him problems. John continues to progress after his early setbacks with his knees, for the most part putting the rest of us to shame with his determination. My cousin Craig is doing incredible things, and Peckle last I heard was spotted up to his knees in mud in Friday woods, which to be fair isn't difficult, and by all accounts he quite enjoys it! One thing I do know though is that come that first event, those niggles will be forgotten, the trial and tribulations will be a thing of the past, sure after the event, they may well rear their ugly head, and so be it, but the most part, the difficulties faced, will be faced together, and the inspiration of a great man will be enough to drive us on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been emotional.........

Beyond the last blue mountain.....

30 days to go (no need to paniccccccccccccc)